Sunday, June 04, 2006

ADEQUATE FAITH

"Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, 'I do believe: help me overcome my unbelief" (Mark 9:24).

I do not believe that God requires us to have perfect faith, only an adequate faith. Like this father who had sought help for his son only to have his hope smashed, so life experience has come crashing down on our dreams and hopes. We have honest doubts because of our experiences and a misunderstanding of what those experiences mean. Like Jesus did not require a perfect faith from the father that the son might be healed, so God doesn't require a perfect faith for salvation, only an adequate one. Jesus won't reject us because of honest doubts. Remember, one of the most important prayers we can pray as we face life is, "Lord, I believe; help me overcome my unbelief."

Grace&Peace;
Tom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you I needed that for today. Sometimes I need to be reminded about the importance of my faith, but not to stress over the questions I have about God. When I question, I feel like I am not being faithful. I also needed to be reminded about how my faith in God should show in the way I live.