Thursday, April 06, 2006

A COMMON HOPE

Writing about the death of a loved one, Hertzler says, "It is a peculiar thing that, no matter what one's ideas may be in general, when one's loved one has gone before, there is a lurking hope that somewhere, somehow there will be a meeting again, Even the noted agnostic, Bob Ingersoll*, in the funeral oration over his brother expressed this hope" (Arthur E. Hertzler, M.D.).

It seems to be a common characteristic of human beings, no matter how technologically advanced the culture, to have a longing for life and fellowship in the "hereafter." "A slow ride in a hearse can't be the last ride," we all want to believe. But belief in life and fellowship after death without being in Christ is only credulity, and not a legitimate hope. The hope of the Christian is based on one documented fact in history; Jesus Christ has risen! We have a great future!

"Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so would I have told you that I go and prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and take you to myself, that where I am you may be also" (John 14:1-3).

Grace & Peace;
Tom

*"Google" Robert Ingersoll. The atheists claim him.

No comments: