Tuesday, April 11, 2006

ARRIVING TOGETHER

"The saddest sight I have ever seen was at the deathbed of an old couple who had lived together many years. Both had pneumonia. I watched the passing of the aged wife and then went to see the husband. I made not a sound. 'Mother's dead?' he queried. I did not need to answer. He closed his eyes, folded his hands over his chest and in a short time he also was dead. Don't ask me the meaning. The finest scenes I have witnessed have been the serene old age of such couples. As far as I can see, in order to arrive at the same place at the same time it is necessary to travel together. To so travel it seems that the burdens of life must be borne share and share alike. (Arthur E. Hertzler M.D.).

I hope I have not overworked Dr. Hertzler for you. I will give him a rest for a while, though he has more observations worthy of sharing later on.

Only about 5% of couples fit together like "hand in glove." The other 95% of us have to work at marriage to make it work. That is not a bad thing. It can both build and reveal character. Dr. Jerry Gibson has commented on the Greek word agape by calling it, "commanded love." "Husbands love your wives," the apostle Paul commanded the husbands in the Ephesian church. Jesus has command all of us to 'love our enemies.' Sometimes that is all we have, a command to be obeyed in faith. No romance, but a command. The truth is that, if in faith we obey the command to love, the romance and the feelings of friendship have a medium in which to grow. In the case of marriage, maybe we'll arrive at life's destination together. Isn't that romantic?

Grace & Peace;
Tom

No comments: