Tuesday, March 12, 2013

HOW TO READ THE BIBLE

You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life (John 5:39-40).

In a book authored by a friend of mine, Robert Blair, he makes a statement that I think is important to share: Until people read Scripture allowing God to speak forcibly and unequivocally to their own hearts, they had just as well read Shakespeare . . . (The Great Omission).

I think it is important for a person to get into the habit of Bible reading.  There are times when one isn't feeling good, or sections of the Bible that seem to be boring and uninspiring and, as a result, it is a matter of will power just to keep on reading.  At these times Bible reading may seem to be less important than Shakespeare.  Nevertheless, if one is reading for the purpose of knowing God--of understanding His will, I believe God rewards that, All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work (II Timothy 3:16-17).  We do not read the Bible to "score points" with God, but to know Him and His Son, Jesus Christ.

Brother Blair mentioned in his book [knowing brother Blair, I know he did not say this to brag] that he had read the Bible clear through more than sixty times.  My wife has read the Bible through several times.  I have been critical of those who read on a ridged schedule and read so fast, how can they get anything out of it?  Yet, it is clear that they do.  I read at a virtual snail's pace because I like to meditate as I read.  I also read one of the gospels after I read one of the other sections of the Bible because it is important to connect it all to Jesus--that's my style.* 

One last thing, I believe it is important to ask God to bless the reading of His word.  Living in this world and in this body of flesh we need the encouragement, strength and wisdom that God has to give us through his word.  Whatever your style is for Bible reading, make it every day and ask God's blessing on your reading. 

Our Father's Love,
Tom

*I also think that one meditates better with a cup of coffee and something chocolate.

No comments: