Tuesday, March 05, 2013

HAVE YOU CHOSEN YOUR LIFE OR HAS YOUR LIFE CHOSEN YOU?

For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it (Matthew 16:25).

Many people know what their career choice is while they are very young; not so with me.  Where I am today was not the result of careful planning, but more the result of the Lord's leading--I am thoroughly convinced of it!  I do not claim to be a great philosopher, but it seems to me that when one commits his life to the Lord Jesus Christ he cannot go wrong on the vocational choice of his life, for in any case, he will always be serving the Lord.  If one is committed to serving the Lord, he will find his best possible life.

Even though some get started in their career choices at an early age, still the route one takes vocationally can be a circuitous one.  Sometimes we will find that we are doing something that is other than what we want to do.  What is most important is that we are doing honest work to make ends meet.  It might well be that God prepares us in these times for the great vocational goal where we really want to be, or for the great vocational satisfaction we never expected. 

As a young person, pastoral ministry was one of my vocational choices, along with teaching and coaching.  I have degrees in pastoral ministry and marriage and family therapy.  To some degree, I serve in each of those capacities, but if one asks me what I do, I call myself a farmer.  I say that because I do not doubt that God led us to the farm. Farming was not an occupation that I chose for myself in my early years, but as I look back at my life, this is the place where I fit the best.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: