Friday, March 08, 2013

CHRISTIAN UNITY

I do not pray for these only, but also for those who believe in me through their word, that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that thou hast sent me (John 17:20-21).

That the Church of Christ upon earth is essentially, intentionally, and constitutionally one; consisting of all those in every place that profess their faith in Christ and obedience to him in all things according to the Scriptures, and that manifest the same by their tempers and conduct, and of none else as none else can be truly and properly called Christians (Thomas Campbell, the first proposition of his Declaration and Address, June 1, 1851).

More than a week ago I posted my story about my hernia surgery, relating how my surgeon asked to pray with me before the surgery.  I certainly welcomed that prayer prayed in Jesus name!  Knowing a little of his denominational background, I know there are some doctrinal issues upon which we differ, but on the person of Jesus Christ there are no differences.  Jesus, the Messiah, is God become flesh who dwelt among us, being fully tempted in every way and yet without sin.  Who gave himself as the only sacrifice for sin, dying on the the cross, raising from the dead, ascending into Heaven with the promise to return for His own.  This Jesus is the only savior!  Belief in this Jesus is the foremost essential.

In saying that belief in the gospel is the foremost essential, all other doctrinal matters are secondary essentials.  If Jesus Christ is not who the New Testament says he is, all other doctrinal matters make no difference anyway (I Corinthians 15:17).  I know the good doctor and I have differences on a secondary essential and some matters of opinion, but I am thankful that we share our belief in the same Lord Jesus Christ, the foremost essential.  God will deal with the rest.  Let us celebrate the unity we do have!

Our Father's Love,
Tom

No comments: