Friday, January 25, 2013

IS IT WORTH IT TO EAT RIGHT AND EXERCISE?

Train yourself in godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for this present life and also for the life to come ( I Timothy 4:7-8).

I have said it before and I will say it again, the reason I do physical exercise and try to eat in a healthy way is not to live longer, my times are in the Lord's hands, but to use this life to the fullest.  I want to be a companion to my wife, not to have her as my nurse.  I want to be able to enjoy my grand children, not to have them feel sorry for me.  I want to be able to travel, doing short-term missions, teaching, preaching and counseling.

My doctor obsesses over her patients.  Being 65 I went on medicare this year.  At the beginning of the medicare process the government wants each one to have a physical check up, so I had one this week.  All of my numbers were good.  Blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, PSA were very good except my heart rate was slow, 45.  So, she called me into the hospital today for me to have another EKG.  Everything checked out okay, but my heart rate was still 50.  She still was not happy, but I told her, "Doc, I feel fine, I exercise 45 minutes a day.  I'm going to be okay."

My testimony is this:  Last year, having some medical problems was a wake-up call to me.  I had been self-medicating on some over-the-counter heart-burn medications, was on a prescription blood-pressure medication plus other medications need to deal with my cancer treatment, so I was a medication mess.  Though I thought I had been living a reasonably active life, I decided to become more disciplined in working out and eating right, though I do not obsess about it.  As a result, I now breath deeper, feel better, I am off the heart-burn and blood-pressure medications.  I have still a ways to go.  I might not live longer, but I think I will get more out of the life I have.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: