Thursday, February 23, 2012

THE ACTIVITY OF SALVATION: BELIEVING IN DR. CHRIST

Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of man will give to you; for on him has God the Father set his seal.  Then they said to him (Jesus), "What must we do to be doing the works of God?"  Jesus answered them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he hath sent" (John 6: 27-29).

As I wrote in the Passivity of Salvation, salvation is something that only God can do to us--we cannot save our selves and make our selves whole!  The sacrificial death of Jesus Christ for our sins is the only price that can be payed.  The ministry of Holy Spirit is the only power that can make us whole.

It is only a coincidence that the doctor who is the doctor in charge of treating my sickness literally has the surname, Christ.  It adds a nice touch to this devotional does it not?  Dr. Christ is in charge of the treatment, but if I do not believe in him, can he heal me? 

I do not show or feel any signs of the disease I have.  It was only by an annual physical that it was discovered.  I could say, "I'm doing okay, I do not need Dr. Christ."  But I have seen what this disease does to men, so I do not want to take the risk.  As a result, believing in Dr. Christ, I am willing to sign the consent form for treatment, follow his instructions, show up at the hospital at the appointed times for treatment.  If the treatment is successful, I will be extremely thankful to Dr. Christ, even though I will pay him very well, because I could not have healed myself!  If I did not believe in Dr. Christ, I would do none of those things.

If one truly believes in Jesus Christ, all that follows is a foregone conclusion.  The activity of salvation is believing in Dr. Christ.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: