Tuesday, May 03, 2011

WALKING WITH MY GRANDSON

Do two walk together unless they have agreed to do so? (Amos 3:3).

Helen and I do not have many grandchildren (Only five) but the ones we do have are the best!  This past weekend, Helen and I drove to Iowa City to attend grandparents day at Heritage Christian School where Alex and Samantha attend.  We were able to visit the classes that Alex and Samantha attend and have a first-hand look at academics from a Christian perspective.  It was well worth the time to do this!

The remainder of the weekend we just had a good time "hanging out" together.  It is part of my daily routine to take a walk, so Alex volunteered to walk with his grampa.  As it turned out, grampa walked with Alex more than he walked with me.  Alex is just 12 years old, but he already stands 5' 10" and has long legs.  He nearly walked my legs off!  I have never been a fast walker, liking to think, meditate and pray as I walk.  Walking with Alex, one has to concentrate on keeping up with the pace--no time for dallying!  For Alex we were just walking his normal pace. 

Often people cannot walk together because they have cut themselves off from each other so that even a simple walk in the park is not doable because of anger, bitterness, and false beliefs.  While I was walking with Alex I was thinking how blessed I am to be able to enjoy something so simple as a daily walk with my grandson.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: