Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A LATE MOTHER'S-DAY THOUGHT

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them (Genesis 1:27).

Because of the season, I have been very busy on the farm.  As a result, I have not kept up on my writing responsibilities as I should; please forgive me.

One of the thoughts I wanted to develop for Mother's Day was this: Even though Jesus taught us to address God as our Father, the complete expression of God's personality is both masculine and feminine.  Both males and females are created in the image of God.  Though my study on this subject is far from complete, I will share four verses that point to God's desire to nurture, and care for people as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings to protect them.

I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings (Psalms 61:4).

Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings (Psalms 63:7).

The Lord recompense you for what you have done, and a full reward be given to you by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge (Ruth 2:12).

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you!  How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not! (Matthew 23:37).

Much more can be said about this, but the point I want to emphasize it this: Those women who manifest the image of God in their lives of loving and nurturing children are mothers whether they have given birth or not.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: