Sunday, May 22, 2011

COMMUNION MEDITATION INSPIRED BY HAROLD CAMPING

And as they were eating, he took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them, and said, "Take; this is my body."  And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, and they all drank of it.  And he said to them, "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.  Truly, I say to you, I shall not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God" (Mark 14:22-25).

It was my turn on the rotation to bring the communion meditation.  As I pondered what thoughts to bring it struck me that something connected with what has been on most people's mind this last week might be most meaningful.  Because of the publicity given to Harold Camping's prediction of the rapture on the 21st, I thought these thoughts would be meaningful.

The celebration of the Lord's Supper is a backward look.  Jesus said that the purpose of the Lord's Supper was a memorial to him (I Corinthians 11:24&25).  We must never forget the reason for our hope, pardon and forgiveness!

The celebration of the Lord's Supper is an inward look.  The celebration of Communion in a worthy manner includes self-examination.  There cannot be any appreciation of what Jesus has done for us if there is not an honest appraisal of one's own heart.  While our evil thoughts and actions might not be evident to others, God knows and we know.  Any one who thinks, "I'm good enough to make it to Heaven" will likely not be there!

The celebration of the Lord's Supper is a forward look.  If Harold Camping was right, we would all be celebrating the Eucharist together with the Lord Jesus right now, but we are not.  How do you feel about that?  I am disappointed!  I would rather be raptured than to die.  However, I knew that Camping was wrong the minute I heard the date and the time because Jesus said, But of the day and hour now one know, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only (Matthew 24:36).  How is it that otherwise intelligent people can be so stupid as to contradict the clear teachings of Scripture.  In an effort to discourage the date-setters of his time, Isaac Newton said that the Lord will not return before 2060.  Nevertheless, datesetters still abound.  Celebrating the Lord's Supper does remind us to look ahead to the time when we will all celebrate it together in Heaven with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  What a celebration that will be!!!

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: