Monday, May 25, 2009

HERE I RAISE MY EBENEZER

Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Jeshanah, and called its name Ebenezer, for he said, "Hitherto the Lord has helped us." So the Philistines were subdued and did not again enter the territory of Israel. And the hand of the Lord was against the Philistines all the days of Samuel (I Samuel 7:12-13).

The last Monday in May is Memorial Day, a holiday that was originally intended to honor the memory of those who have served in the United States military and have died. Though that is still the primary purpose of Memorial Day, it has become a holiday in which we honor the memory of all of our deceased loved ones.

This weekend I helped my elderly mother place flowers at the graves of about a dozen family members, one of them being Ebenezer Bunce, my great, great grand father. Ebenezer was a pastor in the United Brethren Church. Ebenezer's name brought home to me the significance of what we were doing--remembering, honoring and being thankful. Ebenezer means, stone of God's help. It was a monument intended to help the Israelites remember how God helped them! Every monument in the cemetery is an Ebenezer. Who would I be without Ebenezer Bunce? Who would I be without the influence of my Dad? What kind of a country would we have were it not for the ultimate sacrifice of those who have died for it in military service? What kind of country would we have were it not for those whose lives were salt and light as they served Jesus Christ? God used every one of them. Their grave stones are Ebenezers!

Grace&Peace,
Tom

No comments: