Monday, March 03, 2008

THINKING ABOUT YOU, HUSKER RED

The windchill this morning was -5F. I was taking my faithful wonderdog, Obediah, on his twice daily walk. As I was walking I was thinking random thoughts, one of them being that Isaac Newton's favorite color was crimson. "Crimson-Newton, Crimson-Newton--do you suppose that is what the 'N' on the Nebraska football helmets stands for is Newton?" I thought. Then I thought, "Husker Red would really enjoy knowing this." Crimson and creme are the Nebraska colors. In Isaac Newton's later years his room decor was predominately crimson.

It's funny what a -5 windchill does to one's mind, but at least HR, I was thinking about you. (For those of you who do not know, HR is a devoted reader of Silver Bullets.)

Grace&Peace,
Tom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing!! I did not think any one would know the story about why crimson (Big Red)is one of Nebraska's school colors! Nebraska is such a university of academic excellence that the actual thought was to call them, rather than the cornhuskers, the Newtons and the mascot would have been an apple picker. But the corngrowers of the state had more influence, so you know the result. Amazingly, and apple picker and a cornhusker look remarkably alike, so you can still think of them as "The Newtons" if you want. At least Isaac Newton could get tenure at Nebraska, something that would never happen at Iowa State!

Thanks for the thoughts, Dr. Steele.

Your devoted reader,
--Husker Red

Rebecca said...

Too Funny!