Monday, December 31, 2012

A GOOD FAMILY IS A GREAT GIFT!

"Men, what must I do to be saved?"  And they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved, you and your household" (Acts 16:30-31).

The last of our "kids" left this morning, leaving the lovely and gracious Helen and me alone in a quiet house.  In a way it is a relief because we have time to relax a bit.  But, it is also a little lonely because we, the thirteen of us, were altogether in this little house over the Christmas holidays; it was a great time! 

A couple of days ago I was in the bank, doing some end-of-the-year financing and my banker asked me if I had gotten everything I wanted for Christmas.  I replied, "Yes I did!  All of my children and grandchildren were home at the same time and they all like each other!"  So many families are troubled by jealousy, anger and conflict that they aren't even able to spend a short time together without fighting.  Helen and I are so blessed to have a good family!

There are no guarantees that children will turn out well and that they will make a good choice of mates, but, do not make the mistake of thinking that having a great family is just a matter of luck.  If mom's and dad's have faith in God's word and make a genuine effort to live their lives consistent with the teachings of the Bible, then most of the time children will follow in the footsteps of their parents.  Sometimes children will turn out better than their parents deserve.  Perhaps that is the case with my own children because there have been times when I was not the best example, so I am always thankful for how well my "household" is doing!

I do need to add that parents who say they believe the teachings of God's word, but live their lives in a different fashion generally produce a family that does what the parents do, not what they say.  Our true faith is always lived out in what we do.

Our Father's Love,
Tom

No comments: