Sunday, June 24, 2012

IS CHURCH A SAFE PLACE?

Come to me all who labor and heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light  (Matthew 11:28-30).

The lovely and gracious Helen and I spent last week at Christian Service camp as dorm parents to 5th and 6th grade, 11 and 12 year old, girls and boys.  It is our short-term mission that we do each year.  The boys come from all different kinds of homes, some from highly functioning Christian homes to homes where there is abuse, addictions and divorce.  So, our last night of the week, one of the boys came to me, telling me that he wished camp was not nearly over because, he said, "I feel safe here."  As we talked together, abuse at home was not indicated.  But, this set me to thinking about church being a safe place.  Providing a safe place for change is essential as people make themselves vulnerable to the life-changing power of God through Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit.

God is not safe, He is dangerous, calling us to do things that we had never imagined ourselves doing.  Loving our enemies,  selling our fortunes and following Jesus, going to far-away lands to take the gospel, serving as a medical missionary, apologizing to a bitter foe, teaching 5th and 6th graders, etc.  Talk about danger and adventure!  Being a Christian is both safe and dangerous.  Are you ready for the challenge?

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: