Thursday, June 14, 2012

AUTUMN LIGHT

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world; he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life" (John 8:12).

Summer has only just begun and yet I am already writing about autumn.  What triggered my thinking about autumn was when I was scouting my crops I was imagining what they would look like when September comes.  September and October are the most beautiful months of the year.  The maturity of the crops, the changing of colors, but to me, the quality of the sunlight changes too, the sunlight is more golden.  That has to do with the tilt of the earth towards the sun, I suppose, but it seems to me that autumn light has a quality that is not duplicated by any other season of the year.  Autumn light is the most beautiful light.

Then my thoughts turned to the seasons of life.  I am past the mid-point of my life expectancy, being officially a senior citizen, I am in the "autumn" of my life.  The light of our world is filtered through past experiences and relationships that tend to add color to that light.  The light of the seniors world can be harsh and bitter or it can be golden and peaceful, it depends on the eyes.  The eyes of faith make all the difference in how one sees the light: "The eye is the lamp of the body.  So, if your eye is sound, your whole body will be full of light; but if your eye is not sound, your whole body will be full of darkness.  If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness" (Matthew 6:22,23).

Through what kind of eyes are you viewing the world?  Faith in Christ, or belief in something else?  Don't miss the autumn light.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: