Thursday, April 19, 2012

BE CAREFUL OF GENERICS

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you have rejected knowledge, I will reject you . . . (Hosea 4:6).

I always like to have a Scripture text with the blurbs that I write.  In this case it might be a little lame, but still, if we do not know something that is very important, we can really suffer because we did not know! 

This morning I was reading and article written by a child psychiatrist, Glen Havens, about child mental health and medications.  It was a very informative article, but one of the things that stood out to me was this: By Federal Drug Administration regulation, Generic compounds only have to be 70% as effective as the name brand to hit the market.  There can be significant variability in therapeutic benefit. I assume that this applies to all generic medications and not just psychotropics.  So, make sure you ask questions, and ask them again, and read labels so that you know what is the best decision to make in choosing between name brands and generics.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: