Friday, December 31, 2010

THE GOOD WIFE

A good wife who can find?  She is far more precious than jewels . . . Strength and dignity are her clothing . . . Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised ( Proverbs 31:10, 25 & 30).

It is New Year's Eve.  The house is quiet and I have a little time to reflect.  Our Iowa children were home for a few days for Christmas.  The house was full and we just had a great time being together.  I always feel a little empty inside after the celebration is over and everyone goes home--lonely might be a better word than empty to describe my feelings.  Still, I have a great wife to keep me company, and I am grateful for that!

To prepare for our Christmas I pretty much cleaned the house, though Helen did a lot of cleaning, her job was stressing her out as she spent a lot of time at work.  I scrubbed and waxed the floors by hand.  I learned from a woman whom I respect as a cleaner that to clean floors right they must be done by hand.  So, I donned a set of knee pads and went to work.  Even with the knee pads, my knees hurt as I did the job, and my back hurt too.  Though age has something to do with it, even if one is young, cleaning is a taxing job.  Then I imagined myself as a young housewife with three children to care for, how hard it must be.  Young wives and mothers have to be very disciplined in order to run an orderly household.  I think many husbands simply do not appreciated what their women to.  Men need to be involved in the cleaning too, so they can appreciate what their wives do.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: