Friday, September 05, 2008

LOVE INVENTORY, part 2

A self-assessment guide for meditating on 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a.

"Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. . ."

  1. I kick and slam doors when I am angry.
  2. I give the "silent-treatment" to those with whom I am angry for more than 6 hours.
  3. There are some people who have hurt me too much to forgive.
  4. I feel a twinge of delight and some self-satisfaction when I hear of the failures and difficulties of others.
  5. I treat others according to how I feel at the moment.
  6. Our country is "going to hell in a hand basket." There is nothing I can do.
  7. I am more courteous to strangers than I am to my own family.
  8. I have a pleasure, habit, hobby or addiction that I pay for at the expense of others.
  9. I avoid cooperation because I do not want others to benefit.
  10. I believe others succeed because they have special privileges and benefits.
  11. I look for ways in which I can help others.
  12. I have sufficient income to help meet the needs of those who depend on me.
  13. I am honest even if it hurts another.
  14. I am a good listener.
  15. I am always trying to become a better person.
  16. I am a persistent person in spite of great obstacles.
  17. I am an encourager.
  18. I criticize because it makes others better.
  19. I must protect those whom I love from the natural consequences of their actions.
  20. I am a suspicious person.

In light of 1 Corinthians 13, how would you respond to each of these statements? Are there any changes you need to make?

Grace&Peace,

Tom


No comments: