Saturday, August 26, 2006

GOD INVITES YOU TO ASK

"Ask and it shall be given. . ." (Matthew 7:7).

Many times in the Scriptures, God invites His children to ask, 'You have not because you ask not' the apostle James says in his letter. God is our rich friend; He is our rich father who wants us to have what is best.

I found this story in a sermon by Peter Marshall that I want to share with you; it is supposed to be historically accurate.

In 1540, Martin Luther's great friend and assistant, Frederick Myconius, became sick and was expected to die within a short time. On his bed, he wrote a loving farewell note to Luther with a trembling hand. Luther received the letter and instantly sent back a reply, "I command thee in the name of God to live. I still have need of thee in the work of reforming the church. The Lord will never let me hear that thou art dead, but will permit thee to survive me. For this I am praying, this is my will and my will be done, because I seek only to glorify the name of God." One week later, Myconius recovered and died two months after the death of Luther.

Our motives have a lot to do with how our requests to God are answered!

Grace&Peace;
Tom

2 comments:

Tom said...

That story was good for my heart. Thank you.

Kimberly Anne said...

I am DONE forever praying wimpy prayers--I am shooting for the stars and praying the impossible!

Our school is sponsoring a bike race next month. It is a large fundraiser and quite frankly, our school is in dire need of funds. I am praying for 1,000 cyclists to come and enter the race. History has shown this race on this particular weekend will garner only about 400 to 500 bikers.

. . .for nothing is impossible with God.