Monday, August 14, 2006

DEALING WITH ANXIETY

Since returning from California I have been struggling with a bad sinus infection. To treat it I have been using a couple of products containing pseudoephedrine. Though these medications work fairly well, one of the side effects I experience is anxiety. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that my wife, the lovely and gracious Helen, is in Kansas visiting her parents; the house feels so empty. So this morning I woke up at about three with feelings of anxiety. To try to stay in bed merely fosters racing thoughts, so I begin with a remedy that has always worked, running. I have a great running buddy, Obie the wonder dog. We headed down the gravel road together, covering a mile plus a hundred-yard wind sprint at the end. The rhythm of the exercise, the deeper breathing, the companionship of my dog, does wonders for dealing with stress--it is a remedy that always works for me. It is a weird time of the day to be running, but it is a lot better than sitting around dealing with racing thoughts.

Returning to the house a few minutes later, I heated some water and made some herbal tea and read these words, "Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).

Try some exercise with your prayers.

Grace&Peace;
Tom

No comments: