Sunday, October 26, 2014

BE A RISK TAKER

But his master answered and said to him, "You wicked, lazy servant.  You knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed.  "Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money with interest.  "Therefore take away the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten talents (Matthew 25:26-28).

This week Helen and I drove to Austin, Minnesota to visit son Paul's family.  Though it is only a 3 hour drive, it seems that we do not get to see grandson, Micah, enough.

While we were there we had the opportunity to watch our daughter-in-law, Jenny, rehearse with her orchestra for a concert the next day.  The concert was in the Austin high school auditorium.  After the rehearsal I was reading the plaques hanging on the wall of the commons area outside the auditorium.  These plaques were hung in honor of the distinguished alumni of Austin high school.  One of them stood out to me.  His full name I have forgotten*, but his advice to the students of Austin high I have not.  Here it is:

"Be a risk taker.  Let your failures be your education and your successes be your legacy."

When one is committed to our Lord Jesus Christ our risks always pay off, either in education or in honor.  What made the servant "wicked" in the parable of the talents was that he refused to take a risk.

So, take a risk for the Lord today--you can start small.

Our Father's Love,
Tom

*I will try to post his complete name--it was Timothy something, from the class of  '63.

No comments: