Tuesday, September 16, 2014

WHEN LIFE SUCKS . . . watchout

Vanity of vanities, says the preacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity!  What does man gain by all the toil at which he toils under the sun? (Ecclesiastes 1:2-3).

Victor Frankl coined the term "existential vacuum" in an attempt to describe the meaninglessness that afflicts many today.  I have written a couple of "Bullets" about EV, but yesterday I had a graphic demonstration of what too much vacuum can do.  I have a 1500 gallon vacuum tank that I use to spread liquid manure and pump my own septic tank.  The tank is quite old and the vacuum gage does not work so I do not know what the vacuum actually was, but as I was vacuuming the septic tank there was a sudden quietness and then a big boom.  The vacuum tank imploded.  It now looks like a wrinkled, empty water bottle.  Immediately I thought of Victor Frankl.

The lesson is that meaninglessness in a person's life is not benign!  The meaningless life does have its consequences.  When life sucks, find your refuge in Jesus Christ (Matthew 11:28-30).

Our Father's Love,
Tom

No comments: