Friday, May 10, 2013

HAVING HOPE HELPS TO DEAL WITH GRIEF

. . . having no hope and without God in the world.  But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near in the blood of Christ (Ephesians 2:12-13).*

I often read "Dear Abby," an advice column in the Sioux City Journal.  In a recent column, Abby shared several letters from people who wrote about what they would do if they won the lottery and had millions of dollars to spend on whatever they wanted.  Being a counselor, I try to "read between the lines" and evaluate what is really going on in the situation from the contents of the letters.  What follows is an excerpt from a letter that made tears flow from my eyes (I tear up easily in my older age).  Dear Abby: If I were to win the lottery, I would trade all of it just to have one more hug and one more night talking with my wife, who died 16 years ago . . . my heart still aches over losing her to cancer.

I am blessed to have the lovely and gracious Helen as my wife, but as I read this man's letter I began to think and then feel what it must be like to be in this man's shoes--to be willing to trade the world for one more night with his wife.  His words remind about what is truly important in our lives on this earth--relationships.

From this man's letter it appears that he has resolved his grief and raised healthy functioning children, but resolving grief does not mean that grief has ended, it means that grief is managed.  Resolution simply means that grief does not keep one from living responsibly in a painful world.

A legitimate hope helps one to come to resolution, for in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ the promise is that it will not be just one more night, but one more eternity to spend with our loved ones in Christ.

Our Father's Love,
Tom

*If one reads the context of  the scripture text I used, it might be inferred that I misused the text.  Perhaps, but is there anything that feels more empty and lonely than being hopeless and without God in the world?  Is there anything that inspires a legitimate hope more than the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ?

No comments: