Tuesday, April 23, 2013

TAXMAN

Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's (Matthew 22:21).

The Beatles recorded this song in 1966--it is just as true today as it was then! 

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, the taxman

Should five per cent appear to small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman
And you're working for no one but me.

The Jews of Jesus' day were taxed to death.  That was one of the reasons they were so rebellious.  After studying the history of the time of Jesus Christ on this earth, I have often thought, "Would I have been any different than them?"  Indeed, I was a Constitutional tax protester, and I still believe that the income tax and property taxes are unConstitutional.  There are legal and better ways to raise money and we are close to being taxed to death.

But Jesus refused to be drawn into politics.  The matter of first importance for every person is to render to God what is God's--your life! 

Our Father's Love,
Tom

No comments: