Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I DIDN'T GET WHAT I DESERVED

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief; and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.  Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of persons ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God . . . (2 Peter 3:10-11).

For the past several years I have had an unblemished driving record, meaning there have been no speeding tickets or traffic violations on any sort, and no accidents.  So, I am still amazed that, last week, I was stopped twice for speeding.  On Tuesday, I had taken my mother to the doctor, I was driving her car which I do not drive very much, and we were on our way home when a highway patrolman stopped me for going 14 miles per hour over the speed limit.  I explained to him that I had taken my 92 year old mother to the doctor and that I was driving her car, of which I was unfamiliar.  It must have touched his heart because he only gave me a warning; I was not fined.

Thursday, I had to take my minivan to the mechanic's shop for repair.  I was running a little late so I was driving a "wee bit" fast.  Another highway patrolman stopped me for going 9 miles per hour over the speed limit.  I knew he was going to stop me before he turned on his flashing lights, so I just pulled over on the shoulder of the road.  He thanked me for pulling over immediately and for being buckled in.  Then he asked for my drivers license, registration and proof of insurance.  I do not drive this vehicle very much either, so, I couldn't remember if all of my documentation was there.  After rummaging around, I not very organized, I found my registration and my insurance card that had recently expired--I had forgotten to put the new one in.  I was apologetic to the officer about the speed and the insurance.  It must have touched his heart too because he only gave me a warning for the speed and the insurance.

I told my stories to an employee of the mechanic's shop to explain why I was late.  I have known this man for many years and have not known him to be a spiritual man, so his response surprised me.  He didn't say, "I was lucky," he said, "Tom, I do not know if you are a praying man, but if you are, you ought to thank the Good Lord."  My reply to him was, "I am, and I will."  I have.

My point in telling this story is that I did not get what I deserved.  According to the laws of the state of Iowa, I deserved several hundred dollars in fines.  I didn't get them because of the graciousness of the officers.  The Bible says that Divine judgement is coming; it is certain!  The warning has been given.  It is only through faith in the Lordship and Saviorship of Jesus Christ that we will not get what we deserve.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom



No comments: