Tuesday, August 02, 2011

MORE ON DREAMS AND VISIONS

For God speaks in in one way, and in two, though man does not perceive it.  In a dream, in a vision in the night, when deep sleep falls upon men, while they slumber on their beds . . . (Job 33:14-15).

What started this discussion on dreams and visions was a discussion with my son in which he related a story about an African student who went to Ozark Christian College because he had a dream with "Ozark" in it.  He had no previous knowledge of Ozark, so he "googled" it and found Ozark Christian College.  As a result of the story, I "googled" dreams that convert Muslims to Christ and found that the fourth leading cause of Muslims converting to Christianity is dreams and visions.  So just for that reason dreams and visions are worthy of discussion.

Does God still speak to us in dreams and visions?  With the completion of the canon of Scripture, the Bible, I would assume that the need for such dreams would become much less, but the Bible does not absolutely say these kinds of dreams and visions would end.  One has to be careful in determining the origin of those dreams, however.  It has always been true that there have been people who have said, "The Lord has said . . ." when the Lord has said nothing.  Note Ezekiel 13:7, Have you not seen a delusive vision, and uttered a lying divination, whenever you have said, "says the Lord," although I have not spoken?
The measure of the Spiritual truth of any of our dreams is the Bible.  It is by the word of truth that dreams and visions are measured, thus John wrote, Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are of God . . . (I John 4:1).

While helping at 5th & 6th grade camp as a dorm dad earlier this summer, I had a dream.   One of the reasons I remember it so well is that as a result of it, I fell out of bed.  In the dream I was fighting another man.  The man had no face so that I could identify him as a different person, so my interpretation of him is that he is me--I am fighting myself.  I kicked the man I am fighting so hard that I fell out of bed.  Both my Spiritual and psychological interpretation of this is that to have any real achievement in my life, I must win the battle with my flesh.  I am as prone to being subject to the flesh as anyone.  I am not a person with great natural ability, and so to achieve, I must take chances, push and work hard.  These are things I do not like to do.  I interpret the falling out of bed as part of the dream.  Though I did hit the floor hard, it seemed as though all the counselors and boys were laughing at me.  My interpretation of that part of the dream is that my efforts to achieve and live for the Lord are laughable to many.  As my head cleared up and I noticed that everyone around me was fast asleep, it occurred to me that everyone is so busy with their own battles that they seldom notice the battles of another.

I have not had a reccurrence of this dream.  If you would like to take a shot at the interpretation of my dream, you are welcome.  If you would like to share your dream you are welcome to do that too.  In any case, do not discount your dreams because it might be that something really important is going on.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: