Wednesday, February 23, 2011

ON WINGS LIKE EAGLES

But they who hope in the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint (Isaiah 40:31).

President's Day weekend, Helen and I flew to California to help celebrate daughter Rebecca's, son-in-law Kirk's and grandson Parker's February birthdays.  Even though the California weather was on the gloomy side, we had a great time together!  Flying is not one of my favorite things to do, but if we allow our fears and dislikes to dictate our lives we will never eat of the best fruit!

One of my dealing-with-anxiety strategies is to say the 23rd Psalm as the big jet engines begin to roar and the plane begins it ascent into the heavens.  Knowing the one who cares for me and provides for me is very reassuring.  Actually, the flying part of the trip was without a problem this year as compared with other years when we flew another airline--I do think that some are better than others!  But, the driving part of the trip did have its perils.  Helen and I had to be on the road at 2 in the morning to be ready for a 6:40 departure in Omaha.  It was a foggy morning and I was driving a little faster than I should have been driving given the conditions.  Suddenly a small herd of deer appeared on the road.  I'm still not sure how we made it through them without damage, but we did, passing between the 2nd and 3rd ones with only a hard brush.

The other driving incident was in Stockton, CA when our son-in-law, absorbed in conversation, ran a red light.  Wow!  In California traffic, to not have a bad collision was something almost miraculous!  Before I begin a trip, I always ask the Lord for traveling mercies and I am certainly glad I did on this trip!

Helen and I are glad to be at home, back in our routines, but we are certainly thankful for the wonderful weekend with which our Heavenly Father blessed us!

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: