Saturday, June 05, 2010

RANDOM SHOTS; SILVER BULLETS

But a certain man drew his bow at a venture, and struck the king of Israel between the scale armor and the breast plate . . . (I Kings 22:34).

One might say it was a lucky shot, but God was guiding the arrow.  Completely at random, one soldier drew his bow and shot an arrow into the air; it struck king Ahab in the chink of his armor so that he died just as the prophet Micaiah said.  Though Ahab hated Micaiah and didn't believe his prophecy, just to be on the safe side, he went to the battle in disguise because an undisguised king was sure to be a target.  In disguise and in full armor he thought he would surely be safe; he was not because what God says is true!

When I write these "Silver Bullets" they are like that random shot of a Syrian soldier.  I write them in no specific order, but only as I am moved to write them.  My prayer is that God would guide them to the chinks in deceitful, defensive armor that people put on so that they do not have to deal with inconvenient truth.

These "Silver Bullets" are only intended to be thought-starters, beginning points for meditation and prayer.  No topic is discussed so thoroughly that every point is addressed, but hopefully, discussed enough to precipitate thought, meditation and prayer.  What makes each bullet silver is that, to the best of my ability, each one is true to God's word.

I have used the Revised Standard Version as the translation for the scripture texts that are cited.  I do not believe the RSV to be superior to other translations; indeed it does have deficiencies, nevertheless, I have emotional attachment to it because it is the translation of the Harper's Study Bible I have had since my Bible College days, forty years ago.  Now tattered and so worn that it cannot just fall open to the right places, Silver Bullets are a kind of memorial to it. 

It's dangerous to read Silver Bullets because one of them might find a chink in your armor--if God guides it.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: