Sunday, June 13, 2010

IN HONOR OF JOHN WOODEN

My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity (Proverbs 3:1-2).

This month we lost the greatest coach to have coached the game of basketball, John Wooden.  He was 99.  What a legacy he left behind as an inspiration to us all.  Back in 1972 I bought his book, They Call Me Coach.   Over the next few posts I am going to share a few of the chapter headers and quotes from that book that inspired me.  These are some of his sayings born of his philosophy of life.  The book was published in 1972 by Word, Waco, Texas.

Learn as if you were going to live forever;
Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.

Do not let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

Who can ask more of a man than giving all within his span?
Giving all, it seems to me, is not so far from victory.  --George Moriarty

You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone
Who will never be able to repay you.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation,
because your character is what you really are
While your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: