Tuesday, November 17, 2009

GOD HAS QUESTIONS FOR YOU

Nearly everyone I know has questions for God--I have a few myself.  But did you know that God has some questions for you?  Perhaps if we took some time to answer God's questions we would have a better understanding of God.

1.  Where are you? (Genesis 3:9).  The context of this question is Adam and Eve hiding from God.  In our shameless secular age, very few stop to consider where truly they are and what it means to be where they are.  Are you nothing but an accident living in a purposeless universe that spontaneously generated out of nothing, or, do you live in a purposeful universe for a purpose?  Is there a God to whom you are accountable?  Where are you in your relationship with him?

2.  Where is . . . your brother? (Genesis 4:9).  The context of this question is when Cain killed his brother, Abel.  Most of the suffering in the world is caused by jealousy and hate, and the simple neglect of our brothers and sisters because we have better things to do with our time and money. God holds each of us responsible to help our fellow man.  I belive that it is a prominent teaching of the Bible that a person has never served God if he has not served his fellow man.

3.  Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread and your labor for that which does not satisfy? (Isaiah 55:2).  Much of the stress and strife in this life is self-imposed.  We strive after the things that do not really matter.  We strive for the dessert and neglect the nourishing food that gives life and peace.  How foolish is it to disregard what is essential for life to labor and sweat for empty nutrition?  When we do that we become spiritual diabetics.

4.  But who do you say that I am? (Matthew 16:15).  Jesus asked his disciples who he was, and he askes you the same question.  How will you answer?  In this age of multiculturalism, as in Jesus' time, many answers will be given.  God, through the prophet Elijah, asked this question: How long will you go limping with two different opinions?  If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal, then follow him (I Kings 18:21). Salvation depends on how you answer these questions.  A young male nurse asked me why I was a Christian.  Because of the circumstances I could only give the short answer, but here it is, "Jesus Christ has risen from the dead."  He alone has power over death.

Grace&Peace,
Tom

2 comments:

justasiam said...

I have never thought God had questions for me..yet it makes good sense..for how can one have relationship with the Father if it is one sided?
My belief is God knows all..He knows my inward parts--so why would He ask me questions when He already knows the answer?
Once again it is in the relationship aspect of Father and child and being held accountable in love for He cares for me.
Like my parents when I came in at night late? "Where were you?" Even tho I didn't always answer in truth ..ya know they knew..I guess now as I look back it was more out of concern and to keep me safe..I guess it is kinda like father God ..wanting to give me a voice and as I hear myself answer Him..faith comes by hearing and our relationship grows.

Anonymous said...

One of the reasons a counselor asks a question is not to gain information, but to help the counselee gain some perspective about himself. God, being the wonderful counselor, asks questions for the same reason. God knows us better than we know ourselves. If we take time to honestly answer God's questions we gain wisdom and understanding about life and ourselves.

Blessings, Tom