Monday, October 12, 2009

THE WATCHER

So we are always of good courage; we know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight.  We are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord (II Corinthians 5:6-8).

I went to a funeral today for the wife of a friend and brother in Christ, and with whom I traveled to Romania on a short-term mission in 2003.  The officiating pastor clearly expressed the Christian hope and gospel in the funeral sermon so that we might not grieve as those who have no hope grieve.  On the back of the funeral folder in which the order of service and obituary is written was the following poem called, The Watcher.

She always leaned to watch for us,
Anxious if we were late,
In winter by the window,
In summer by the gate.

And though we mocked her tenderly,
Who had such foolish care,
The Long way home would seem more safe
Because she waited there.

Her thoughts were all so full of us,
She never could forget!
And so I think that where she is
She must be watching yet.

Waiting till we come home to her,
Anxious if we are late-
Watching from heaven's window,
Leaning from Heaven's gate.
--Author unknown

Perhaps the poem is just sentiment, but it accurately expresses the character of my mother, or any mother who loves her children, and does not want them to miss the glories of Heaven! I absolutely know that if it is at all possible, this is what my mother will be doing when she passes from this life to the next. Statistically speaking, I will likely die before my wife.  It will be glorious to be at home with the Lord, but I will always praying for the safe entry of all my family and loved ones into the city called Heaven too.

Grace&Peace,
Tom

No comments: