Saturday, July 04, 2009

IT IS FREEDOM DAY!

Once when Jacob was boiling pottage, Esau came in from the field, and he was famished. And Esau said to Jacob, "Let me eat some of that red pottage, for I am famished" . . . Jacob said, "First sell me your birthright." Esau said, "I am about to die; of what use is a birthright to me?" Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore to him, and sold his birthright to Jacob. Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentils, and he ate and drank, and rose and went his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright (Genesis 25:29-34).

And proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants (Leviticus 25:10).

Freedom is our heritage. It is easy to take it for granted when it is possessed, but when it is gone, it might not ever be possessed again even if it is sought with blood, sweat and tears. Freedom is the absence of arbitrary control. Our founding fathers pledged their lives, fortunes and sacred honor, not to free us from law, but to free us from the whims of unrepresentative government; "czars" and bureaucrats. A very large portion of the world's people suffers abuse and/or sheer terror at the hands of arbitrary government. I thank God for the wisdom and the personal sacrifices of our fathers and for each one who has given his or her life to preserve our liberty!

My greatest concern for America is that we are trading our birthright of freedom for a bowl of government promises. If we turn over our freedom, the government will give us everything from cradle to grave. It is like the temptation of Christ, the devil says, 'worship me and I will give you everything," trading our freedom for the promise of security is a deal with the devil! We will have lost our freedom and will be left with poverty. As it has always been, the political elites will live in luxury while the rest of us live in misery!

Be responsible, take a risk and stand for freedom!

Grace&Peace,
Tom

No comments: