Thursday, July 23, 2009

EVEN BIBLE TRIVIA IS IMPORTANT

He said: (Job 3:2 NIV).

Jesus wept (John 11:35 NIV).

. . . the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work (II Timothy 3:15b-17 NIV).

While visiting in California, a jail chaplain pointed out to me--no, I wasn't in jail--that the shortest verse in the Bible is Job 3:2, not John 11:35. I was surprised by this. I guess that I need to read my Bible more carefully! But, this bit of trivia reminded me that there really is no trivia in the Bible. In context, every word is important, being inspired by God and teaching us lessons for this life and the life to come. Because of his great losses Job was driven to the depths of despair. It is important to know what "he said." Though Job said many important things, I think the most important is found in 42:5 when he said at the end, "My ears have heard of you but now my eyes have seen you." Job helps us to understand that for faith to be real it must be tested! Will an untested faith bring us into the presence of the Creator?

In both Job 3:2 and John 11:35 the emotion is intense. The emotion of Job is easily understood; the emotion of Jesus is not. Countless opinions have been expressed, my view being that the One who knows when a bird falls from the air and who has the hairs on our heads numbered shares in our emotions too. There is sorrow in life. God did not insulate himself from it--he feels with you, "Jesus wept. Then the Jews said, 'see how he loved him'" (John 11:35-36).

Grace&Peace,
Tom



No comments: