Saturday, October 27, 2007

PROPER GROWTH

"But speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by every ligament with which it is equipped, as each part is working properly, promotes the body's growth in building itself up in love" (Ephesians 4:15,16).

I receive a farm journal called FEEDSTUFFS. It deals with the availability of feedstuffs for agribusiness. As I was reading early this morning I read this blurb that was interesting and possibly could make for a good sermon illustration. This blurb is taken from an article written by Dr. M.W. Orth who is associate professor of skeletal biology with the department of animal science at Michigan State University.

"With the advances made in genetics, certain livestock species have attained some impressive growth rates. To try to give some perspective, if a week-old, 10 lb. baby boy grew at the rate of a market pig, he would weigh about 467 lb. at 24 weeks of age. If the same baby grew at the rate of a turkey, he could weigh as much as 1320 lb. at 22 weeks of age. That is more than four times the size of Shaquille O'Neal. In addition, his body composition would likely compare to that of a middle linebacker."

If our children grew that fast we would want to make sure they were properly disciplined early because they could get out of control very quickly!

Grace&Peace,
Tom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me ask you a question. I hope that you respond with some wisdom. Recently I was at a function with a bunch of little kids. It was one of those parent/ be proud of your kids functions where not everyone was a christian and it had nothing to do with church. There were three seats open in the front row so I sat down with my wife and I taking up the two seats to the outside and placing my boy in the seat next to a person who I thought to be a grandfather of a child at the event.
Soon my boy was up and down numerous times. I was watching him so that he would not bump into the other person or kick him. Each time my son got up or down the old fart would move his leg as if my son was going to hit him. Finnall the last time he did so he turned his head and shook it while facing his wife.
The next thing I know she is asking us if we could move our chairs over because they are big people.
That when I decided to confron the geezer and said sure we can move over so that my son won't bother him. I didn't say it in a tone that was nice. In fact I was just mad. I had put up with his body language and I had been monitoring my son and it wasn't enough.
I think I asked him if he had a problem. again in an confrontational tone but he cowered away from me. When we finally moved over he started to look back in my direction and when he saw me looking at him he looked the other way.

So I think I turned my cheek about 10 times and I evaluated him and discerened his attitude towords my son which I belive was correct.

When are Christians suposed to not take it from people?

I get tired of people who say what would jesus do?

I think He would call the person by name and then confront him about his sin?

What my son was doing wasn't anything any two or tree year old would be doing.

Yet it was like keep that kid away.
I wanted to say get out of here if you can't handle a kid. What are you even doing here.

I could understand if my son was bumping into him, or invading his space, but he wasn't. He wasn't loud or out of control.

Is that fair or Justified to ask what would jesus do.

I am human.

It makes me so mad when I try to be concerened for others and it is not good enough.

We are always concerned how we look in public. Christians are people who arn't perfect. Yet we try to put on a persona that we are.
Where is the right living suposed to be.
When can I be ticked off with another human and it be ok whether it is in public or private.

If he would have asked us to move the chairs over early on I would have done so politly. but when your non verbal communication comes out like I saw it starts to grate on me.

What do you think?