Saturday, November 11, 2006

RIDING REALITY 5

"...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for His good pleasure" (Philippeans 2:12b-13).

Riding Reality requires all of one's ability and skill. Ability is a gift. Some are physically gifted with beauty and athleticism. Some are gifted with brain-power, articism or emotional toughness. Whatever one's natural gift, God expects one to sharpen them with education, discipline and self discipline of training. It is in this way that skill is developed. If one is not will to work at learning, accepting discipline and be willing to discipline herself, there is little hope that one will accept the ride on Reality, adopting unrealistic behaviors will mark the course of their lives.

As a boy, I had been around horses for years, developing some skill, feeding, grooming, training and ridding. That is why I had some confidence that my ride Reality had a chance of success.

The last thing that I want to emphasize is that a successful ride on Reality requires that one put their hand in the glove of Faith. I didn't use a glove; that wasn't smart. It took a couple of weeks for that hand to heal--the power generated by Reality was so great.

Faith absorbs much of the power of Reality. God works with us, and in us, as we trust Him for the outcome. What a blessing it is to know that God is forging something meaningful out of our lives when we trust Him. He uses our skills and abilities to bless those around us and help those who follow to ride Reality too. It is faith that turns the ride of Reality into an adventure to be enjoyed rather than an ordeal to be endured. Reality, what a ride!!

Grace&Peace,
Tom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the story - now can I believe that it is truth, or is it cleverly written. If it is truth (sorry I had to ask, but I have a dad who loved to tell his daughter stories that weren't all true) how interesting that the bull's name was Reality. I think that God knew that this would be your best sermon illustration yet.

Tom said...

BL, it sounds like your dad was a wonderful man--something like the real Capt. America! There's only 2 things that are not true about this story: 1. It is a horse, not a bull. 2. The horse's name wasn't reality; it do not remember what it really was. However, Reality is like a bronco and that is why I named the horse "Reality." I personally know 2 rodeo cantractors. I going to suggest to them that they name one of their broncos, "Reality."