Friday, November 03, 2006

RIDING REALITY 2

I apologize for taking so long to write a sequal to "Riding Reality." What does riding a bronco called "Reality" have to do with life?

I have often told my kids, grand kids and other kids that I work with, "Life is good and it is gonna get gooder." That is not an original statement with me; it is the product of some motivational speaker whose name I have long forgotten. Nevertheless, life is good, it is a gift and it gives us great oportunities to become ourselves and express ourselves and to leave our mark on this world. That is good. The gift of life allows us to enjoy the graces that are gifted to us each day, and that is good. Because of our faith in God who is gracious and good, we have a reasonable hope that life will get gooder and gooder! Our faith does not deny Reality, however, but it is a realistic means of coping with it.

The Reality is that we live in a fallen world, "In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; you are dust, and to dust you shall return" (Genesis 3:19). There are weeds, rot, sickness, pain, atrophy, death, etc.. The reality is that these are an inescapable part of life. Faced with the difficulties of riding Reality, many adopt behaviors that are unrealistic. I'll write about those tomorrow.

Grace&Peace;
Tom

No comments: