Thursday, December 05, 2013

THE ECONOMICS OF CHRIST, part 2

Not that I complain of want; for I have learned, in whatever state I am, to be content.  I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound; in any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and want.  I can do all things in him who strengthens me (Philippians 4:11-13).

Helen and I started farming during the farm crisis of the 1980's.  Many were leaving the farm, we were just beginning.  When we were going over the rental agreement with my parents, the lawyer told us that we would be living on "bread and water" for quite a while, and that we did.  During that time I remember reading Paul's words here and thinking, "Ya, but he didn't have a wife and three children to support."  By the Lord's providence we made it through the farm crisis, though I can't say yet that I have the faith of Paul and can be content in all circumstances.

One thing to be noted here is that Paul, like Jesus, does not contend for a political/economic system to deal with the needs of people, rather, contentedness comes from putting first things first and second things will follow.  Discontent comes primarily from a lack of faith that God will provide for his children the things which they need.  Beyond that, discontent comes, not because there is a lack of necessities, but a lack of personal desires, vanities, as I call them.

One of the mistakes a discontented person makes is to assume that one's present situation is the last word on a person's future. It is not!  The wealth of the world is God's, he owns "the cattle on a thousand hills," so in his providence he makes provision for his children in many different ways.  Stop and think for a moment, "How is it that you are where you are?"  What part does God have in that?

One of the foundation stones to the economics of Christ is not a certain political or economic system, though Satanic ones can certainly bring general poverty, but focusing first on Christ and his kingdom and, as a result, our existential needs will follow in abundance.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: