Wednesday, October 10, 2012

CHRISTIANITY IS A LIFE-TIME EDUCATION

Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path (Psalms 119:105).

The lovely and gracious Helen and I were having supper with friends when the topic of what we are reading came up.  I was asked what I was reading and I sputtered and stuttered a little before I answered and my answer was not very good either.  It seems as if I am always reading.  Between the 4 farm journals and the 2 professional counseling and pastoral journals and the newspapers, I really do very little reading just for fun--my recreational reading is about the Iowa Hawkeyes and Fords.

While I think I read a lot, my reading priorities can use some tweaking.  One of my reading priorities that will never change is Bible reading.  I read from the Bible every day.  I do not cover a lot of ground in one day because I like to meditate over what I have read.  I read from the Bible in an organized fashion--it is not haphazard.  Currently, I am in Luke's gospel.  One thing every serious Bible reader will tell you is that, even though they have read the Bible many times, they are always learning from it.  An advanced degree in Bible does not mean that one knows all about the Bible and theology; it only means his education has only begun.  Christianity is truly a life-time education.  Let the Bible be first in your reading priorities.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

No comments: