Thursday, April 15, 2010

THE WORD BECAME FLESH

In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets; but in these last days he has spoken to us by a son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.  He reflects the glory of God and bears the very stamp of his nature . . .(Hebrews 1:1-3).

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God (John 1:1).

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us . . . (John 1:14).

It is impossible to have a relationship without some kind of communication.  Actually, it is impossible not to communicate because communication is not just words, it is what is done or not done that is a more trustworthy communication.  Nonverbal communication is more that 60% of communication and is a more true indication of the heart than verbal communication.  Jesus Christ is the true communication of the heart of the Father, communicating not only with his words, but in his life, death and resurrection.

Even though God is the Creator with infinite wisdom and knowledge, still, philosophers and theologians (we are all philosophers and theologians you know) could always argue that God's understanding of what it is like to be human was only hypothetical; it was not actual until the Word became flesh.  God took that argument away in Jesus Christ, who fully experience what it is to be you and me!  The Wonderful Counselor can empathize with us because he walked in our shoes!

By becoming flesh, God also revealed godliness in human form.  He modeled love, humility, forgiveness, and anger.  He showed us how to be compassionate and spread hope and joy.  The question "What would Jesus do?" has become a cliche, but it is no less valid; Jesus is the model of godliness for you and me.  We can see how God would deal with life if he were human.

Grace&Peace;
Tom

4 comments:

justasiam said...

All i can say is wow!! I am really struggling with Jesus...meaning ??what is the acceptable belief in Him? It is an inner war that I do not comprehend. I believe in Him as I do in George Washington..somehow it is like..that is not fitting...I believe in God ..but honestly when Christ is the subject i shutdown ..maybe it is due to past experiences and with that said...it is if He is who He says He is than that shouldn't be an issue? I mean I "know" when i am in the prescence of those who believe and it bothers me....if I say i believe than why does it bother me??yet it is like they have something i want...weird huh??It is hard to put into words or talk about .so I have been praying about and walla I should have cheked your posts earlier...I know the "sinner's prayer " and have said..but it seems empty..like I am not connecting to the source..Maybe I am expecting a "magical" source..I do not know except that this part of me really bothers me ..I try to ignore but it doesn't go away...Is He real to you?? Really real?? or do you just improvise???

Tom said...

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying, so I ask this question: What are your expectations of Jesus?

Check back in 3 or 4 days when I post what I think will be the next installment, God Became Vulnerable.

Our Father's Blessings,
Tom

Tom said...

Justasiam, Jesus is real to me because of history. Jesus is real to me because of nature. Jesus is real to me because of revelation. Jesus is real to me because of the testimony of trustworthy witnesses. For these reasons I have chosen to believe in Christ. Living by sight is not a faith relationship, and the Lord says that the just shall live by faith. Not all the questions are answered. Sometimes we feel alone and abandoned. That is a part of the faith walk. But if it is for this life only that we hope in Christ, we are most to be pitied. If you walk by faith in Christ, God has something in store for you that you can't even imagine--we have a great life yet to come!

justasiam said...

Your question you asked just blew me away ..don't ask why..cause I don't know..but my expectations of Christ are as follows:
I expext Him to save me
I expect Him to accept me
I expect Him to fulfill me
i expect Him to for give me
I expect Him to fill me with joy and peace
Iexpect Him to comfort me
I expect Him to be real
I expect Him to be powerful
I expect Him to love me
Basicaly wanting Him to be as the Bible says..faith that He is ...but it seems so void and not alive to me..God on the other hand is more alive...maybe I am tripping up on teachings..but in my life it keeps coming back to Christ and it really bothers me as I don't ssem to get what God wants? Maybe it is the enemy making Christ to be a thorn in my flesh...I guess when others share of Him I get jealous..it bothers me..ya know?? It is better if one keeps to taking about God...yet there is the more factor...Thanks for the question and your answers.