Thursday, December 11, 2008

WHAT TO KEEP & WHAT TO THROW AWAY 3

In an earlier post I related How Helen was going through all of the memorabilia stored in a bed room that we want to use when we have our family home for Christmas. One of the items Helen had sorted for the "Sacred Fire"* was a 1907 charcoal sketch of Abraham Lincoln with these words by Lincoln printed beneath the picture:

"I do the very best I know how--the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference." --Abraham Lincoln.

Lincoln had a way of putting life into perspective. George Bush would especially benefit from these words, as would we all.

The picture is in poor condition, but I thought with appropriate cropping and matting it could be a great antique wall hanging again. Should I keep it or should I give it a dignified end?

Grace&Peace,
Tom

*The "Sacred Fire" is a fire ring in our back yard dedicated to the burning of memorabilia not important enough to keep, but too dear just to be tossed in the dumpster. Also, worn-out flags, Bibles and Christian materials that are too far out of date to be useful find a dignified ending in the "Sacred Fire." We can then dispose of these things with a clear conscience.

No comments: